Wednesday, February 10, 2010



I may have a bit of a reputation amongst friends and loved ones. Somehow, I have become known for a love of sea creatures, and subsequently every second message on facey, twitter, or phone is somehow ocean related. I am, apparently, "that chick obsessed with the sea". Or maybe, "that girl who watched the Little Mermaid way too many times as a child" (is that even possible?) and hopefully not "that one who still tries to swim like ocean girl when she's pretty sure no one's looking".

Not that I mind - on the contrary, it pretty much makes my day every time someone discovers a new species of squid. And I've dipped my toe in the water (so to speak) of undersea blogging at I Know My Goat. It was that post that lead to this, I think. After I was done I couldn't stop thinking of things I'd left off - the Immortal Jellyfish for example, or the fantastic underwater photography of Bruce Mozert.

So here we are. With a blog title taken from a wonderful Ted Hughes poem that doesn't have anything much to do with the sea. And I think Bruce Mozert is a great place to start - his 1938 photos are joyful and surreal.











Photos from Silver Springs: The Underwater Photography of Bruce Mozert by Gary Monroe. Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment